Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Leap of Faith

Today I've been frantically preparing my lesson and packing for my trip (and avoiding doing the last 12 dictations I have saved from the past 2 days I've been at work). Tomorrow I board a plane headed for Grenada. Why am I going back go Grenada now? I have a job interview there. Yay right? Well, knowing that where I go drama seems to follow lately, you know there is going to be more of a story.
At some point along my trip I have to call my boss and essentially face off with her. I requested time off for this trip 3 weeks ago. On Thursday of this week I was told my request had been denied. I was then faced with a dilemma. Do I lie and call in sick? (although I could call in emotionally distressed and it would be true) Do I no-show? With both options I risk termination. Do I quit? Do I no-show on Grenada and give up the potential of a job in Grenada for IHC? I decided on Friday to try to get support from my MDs. I contacted 3 of them (2 of them were in town). They both tried to plead my case to my boss to no avail. So now I will call her tomorrow (I tried today but she did not answer her phone; she's Jewish and it is Saturday). I will be groveling...pleading to keep my job. "Why am I doing this for a job that has caused me so much misery?" you might ask. The answer is 3-fold:
#1- I feel a sense of commitment to the clinic, my patients, and my MDs and I don't want to leave abruptly. I need closure and it's just nicer to give notice.
#2- I want to leave with a clear conscience knowing I did everything I possibly could to get this time off the right way, even if it ultimately ends in my resignation or terminiation.
#3- I would love to continue to get a paycheck (although I don't NEED it, I've been rather thrifty) and continue to be insured (although with that too I feel if I am doing what the Lord wants me to, I'll be protected until I can get insurance).
So tomorrow I take a leap of faith. I get on an airplane bound for the Caribbean and a potential new job opportunity and leave my position with my current job in the hands of the Lord. I must say though, the anticipation is almost killing me and I can't wait to see how this all unfolds in the end. The $#!7 will hit the fan tomorrow. Wish me luck! And any prayers you can offer on my behalf (to soften the heart of my boss) are appreciated!

6 comments:

Utah Youngs said...

what do you do for work becky?? sounds like you have a lot going on! can't wait to read your next story of worldly travels!

Tina said...

I'll pray for you and Holy Smokes, I'd be in a dither also!1

The Burrows Family said...

Wow! I didn't know things were so bad over there! I can understand it, though! Good luck on whatever happens and keep updating your blog! I love hearing about your adventures! We'll miss you!

Adam and Julia said...

Wow, that is a leap of faith! What kind of a job in Grenada? You're so adventurous, I wish I could be as daring as you! Good luck

Carolyn said...

Hope everything is going well with your boss today! Good luck with your trip!

Happiness is... said...

How are you doing? I wish you the best with everything there in Grenada. Do you like the people there, the prospective job? How did your teaching go, or how's it going? We wish you the best with everything!! Keep us posted on the happenin's of the Island (and all the proposals-hee hee!!)