Erika: "Holy handsy Italian shopkeeper, Batman"
Mary Jo: "Holy Hell-of-a-lot of stairs in the Duomo, Batman"
Me: "Holy Goliath of a 12 year old David, Batman"
*quotes may or may not be authentic
Thus, Batman ... Word of the day!
Ok, on to the Saga.
So on Monday I called and Yay, they found my baggage. But of course, we were leaving Rome that day. The airport said they couldn't deliver it on Monday because we were leaving at 10:00 am and their courier went out at noon. So, I asked if they could deliver it to the hotel in Florence. They got the information, my name, the hotel name, the hotel address, Erika's name (who the hotel is reserved under). They told me that because some hotel's might not be able to deliver the baggage until we had checked in, I might not get it until Tuesday. Fine, whatever! But, to smooth the process, I called the hotel so that I could let them know ahead of time. When we checked in the hotel said that they were contacted and my baggage should be showing up...yay!
So, Monday we go out and about, exploring Firenze. I show MJ and Erika the Duomo and the Ponte Vecchio and we find all the good leather in the markets. We wander the streets in the rain, and I finally break down and buy a huge umbrella at the end of the day (and of course, it doesn't keep raining after I bought my umbrella). I come back to the apartment excited to change into my own clothes and...nothing! BAGGAGE NOT DELIVERED! BAH!!!!!
I call the airline, closed for the day. Call back tomorrow. So, I call my insurance for my trip and find out I have $200 to buy "essential things" and with Delta airlines I have at least $75 ($50 the first day, $25 the second). I also called American Express who gets my baggage info and proceeds to check with the airline as to why my baggage is not being found. Yay!
Tuesday, morning we head out way early (7:30 am) for the Galleria Acadamia. This is where Michaelangelo's David sculpture is. No pictures, sorry! It was amazing! We had an appointment so we got in without problems. Beautiful sculptures and paintings!
After seeing the David, we went to climb the Duomo. 463 steps up to an amazing view. 5 steps before you emerge onto the platform of the (almost) top of the Cupola of the Duomo is a room with a lady sitting in it. I asked her: "Do you have to climb all these stairs every day for work?" (I'm sure she gets that a lot, but I still asked because you see signs everywhere that say "no lift"). Her response: "Yes". I figured. She looked like she weighed only 100lbs. No need to go to the gym if you have her job!
After the Duomo, we went to the market to spend lots of $$ on goods! We had a good time looking at all the fun things to buy, and purchasing a few. Then we spent some of my "airline baggage loss" money at H&M, had lunch, and came home to hopefully find my baggage waiting in the Hotel.
We arrive ... NO BAGGAGE!!! WHAT??? Right here is where you would insert expletives, if you use them. I don't (and didn't) use them, so I will not insert. :)
I tried to call the airline again but they are busy. I have to wait to call in a little while. About a half hour later I call again and I get a message: "The baggage office is open 9:oo to 14:00, and 18:00 to 22:00." Bah! It is 14:30!!! Why? Why, Why, Why, Why, Why???! So, I have to call back at 18:00. But, tomorrow, we leave for Venice, and the saga will continue as they will not likely deliver my baggage to me there without me there. Bah! I may have to send Delta another nasty letter today. For my trouble, they have already given me $250 vouchers. I may end up with about $500 by the end of it all. I just want my bag! I have cute clothes and I want to wear them! Bah!!!!
That's all for now. I'll keep you updated as it goes, Batman!
3 comments:
It's funny....I have the urge to travel once in a while then I read something like this and I think Holy Batman!! I'm not tough enough:)
I hope you get your baggage soon and get to dress cute while you have a blast :)
"Holy blogging material, Batman"
:)
Wow! What an ordeal. Hope you're still able to enjoy your vacation. Glad you finally at least got some compensation.
Post a Comment