Friday, May 28, 2010

Italy: part 1 of 3

Well, as most of you know, I went to Italy recently. In the process of getting there, my flight was cancelled and re-routed. And, because of the re-routing, my baggage was delayed. Then there were issues delivering my baggage to me. All in all, I was sans-baggage for a week (I left SLC on April 31st, got to Rome on May 2, and my baggage got to me on the 7th). I was promised time and again that my baggage would be delivered to me, but I continued to receive excuses as to why it was not. Finally, when I arrived at my final location in Naples, I got my baggage because my Uncle Peter took me to the airport to retrieve it. What a headache!

(Me, fresh off the plane and in front of the Spanish Steps (which were actually built with funding by the French). 2 years ago when I was here the obelisk at the top was under construction)

So, my trip started in Rome. I didn't sleep at all on my flight from the US to Rome, but being a semi-seasoned traveler, I know that if I nap when I get in, I will struggle with jet-lag the rest of the vacation. So up and away I went. Mary Jo (MJ) and her friend Erika (E) were my traveling companions. Their flight was not delayed so they got in the day before and walked some of the streets of Rome, mostly looking at fountains and such. There was no real set itinerary for Rome. So, when I got in, I took them "downtown" and showed them all the sights: The Colosseum, the Pantheon (which, if you have only time enough to see 1 sight in Rome...SEE THIS! my opinion), Vatican and St Peter's Basilica (where we were able to see Michelangelo's Pieta), the Spanish Steps, the Roman Forum (not paying to get in, just walking around), Vittorio Emmanuel Monument, Bernini's four river fountain, the Tiber river, and...that may be it. I'm drawing a blank right now.

(Bernini's Four River's fountain. This picture was taken through a panel of plastic/glass. This, like 2 years ago when I was here, was undergoing a renovation).

I had seen all this stuff on my previous trip. Except, I had not been to St Peter's Basilica. I was kinda amazed that neither MJ or E wanted to go through the Vatican Museum to see the Sistine Chapel or the works by Rafael, but to each his own! At least I got to see it on my first trip.

(Michelangelo's Pieta in St Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. You can't see with this picture, but to ensure that people knew that this was his work, Michelangelo put his signature on the statue. It is on the sash that drapes across Mary's chest).

The next day, it was on to Florence. This was my first cross-country train ride. The landscape between Rome and Florence was beautiful!

(Tuscany country side)

One unexpected thing I encountered on the train was pressure build up in my ears. Every time we would go through a tunnel (especially the long ones) my ears would need to "pop". I assume it is because the speed of the train sucks all the air out of the tunnel or something like that, but I don't really know.

(One of the leather markets in Florence. This was actually right outside our hotel. You can see it was raining, but this is also just as the vendors were setting up their wares)

In Florence we stayed in this great hotel: Hotel Giada. I'd recommend it to anyone going there. It is right off one of the main market streets. It is close to the museum with the David, the Duomo, and the Ponte Vecchio. And the staff are so friendly and helpful! The only problem: no continental breakfast. :( But, the price was at least $100/night cheaper than everywhere else we stayed, so can't complain too much!

One of the biggest disappointments of the trip, for me, was our lack of a plan in Florence and Venice. MJ told me as I was getting ready for the trip not to make any plans for these places because E was taking care of our itinerary in those cities. We were responsible for Naples (and apparently I was responsible for Rome, but it worked out ok there, despite no real advance warning). Well, come to find out, E hadn't planned anything for our 2 days in Florence except seeing the David (which we had an appointment for at 8am the following day). She just wanted to wander the streets and shop. It was really quite frustrating. Mostly because, when you do that you often miss the history and culture, and some of the off-the-beaten track things. I, being a fan of Samantha Brown's travel show on the Travel Channel, was able to remember a few things to see and do. However, after we got back, I was at Barnes and Noble and found a book on Florence...there is so much culture and history and cool stuff that we missed because we were not prepared...never again!

(Me outside the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore with the Duomo noted in the background).

The two things I made sure we did (that I remembered from the show) were climb the 463 steps to the top of the Duomo and visit the Ponte Vecchio. Of course, as you can imagine, the view from the top of the Duomo was breathtaking, even though it was raining.

(The view from the top of the Duomo...ahhh!)

There was a woman guard sitting only 5-7 steps from the top...and yes...she climbs all 457 steps everyday for work. She was a toothpick, as you could imagine.

(My silhouette with the cupola of the Duomo in the background. This is truly a work of art. There are all sorts of different scenes on it. There is even a skeleton somewhere on it, but I can't see it on this picture).

MJ realized halfway up that the idea was crazy for her, she did not appreciate heights, so there was an escape route that she took. Me and E made the entire climb. I had no trouble with the climb, but could definitely feel my legs shake a little on the way down.

(Just a few of the 463 steps to the top of the Duomo. Yes, many of them were this steep. Some of them went up in a circular stair case, some of them turned a 90 degree corner every 5 steps or so, and some of them seemed like they were just going straight up!)

The Ponte Vecchio is a really cool bridge. It is the oldest bridge in Florence, with some of its parts being dated back to Roman times. Before the 15th century, the bridge housed green grocers, fish mongers, butchers, bakers, etc. The Ponte Vecchio was a main thoroughfare for the royalty between the town and their palace. In the 15th century, King Ferdinando I decided the smell was too nasty and kicked all of these tradesmen out and had their shops filled with jewlery shops, to improve the smell and to make the bridge more elegant and clean.

(Closed Jewlery-Box -- aka shop on Ponte Vecchio)

The shops on the bridge are quite unique in design -- they open up like jewelry boxes. To this day, all the shops are still Jewelry shops.

(Open Jewelry box -- aka shop on Ponte Vecchio)

I found the ring of my dreams here! Its beautiful! I took the picture through the window so its not super clear. I also can't remember the name of the designer. But, I do remember the price tag: $12,000 Euro!!! I could afford it only if the exchange rate reaches $0.10 USD for ever 1 EU ... maybe $0.25 USD to 1 EU ... not likely to happen. :(

(My favorite ring ever, only 12,000 euro!!!)

Fun little tidbits about the Ponte Vecchio:

1- it is where the term bankruptcy originated (a jeweler was not able to pay his debts so soldiers came and broke (in Italian: rotto) the table where he sold his wares (in Italian: banco). Which then became the practice of bancorotto - his table is broken so he cannot sell any further wares.

(Ponte Vecchio)

2- The Ponte Vecchio is mentioned in the famous aria "O Mio Babbino Caro"

3- There is a special corridor that runs over the shops on one side of the bridge. This is a portion of the Vasari Corridor which one of the Dukes of Florence commissioned this guy, Vasari, to make so that he could travel between his residence on one side of the river, to the government palace on the other side, without mingling with the public.

(Me with the Ponte Vecchio in the background. You can see the Vasari Corridor over the shops on this side)

Michaelangelo's David is also in Florence (which, if you asked most people who don't know for sure, they will usually say it is in Rome). It was really cool. Unfortunately, no pictures in the museum. But, definitely worth seeing if you get the opportunity. Not, however, worth starting a stupid girls fight over (thank you MJ and E for taking that ~3 hours of my life away from me).

(A leather vendor showing us how durable leather is...it even withstands l'acqua gassata -- aka sparkling water!)

We also did a bunch of shopping there. I got a cute green leather clutch and an awesome floor length leather coat (I know! I'm moving to AZ, what do I need a warm winter coat for? oh well! It's pretty!!). I also got a nice leather purse for my mom. The purse isn't in some amazing color or design, but the leather is so soft! It was the best quality leather purse I came across there. Oh, I also went to H&M, and bought some clothes because by this time, I had worn everything I had at least twice!

(To determine if you are buying real leather or a good fake you need to either bring your own lighter or have the vendor use a lighter and put it to your leather product. If its a fake, it will mar the product, if its real, it will turn out fine. When I found that out, I put a lighter to my Gucci bag. I got it in Grenada for about $35 and thought it was a knock-off, but it is real leather. I may have a real Gucci! And all along I've been telling people its a knock-off...hehe!)

It is sad, but by this point in the trip (day 4 of 11 for me, 5 of 12 for MJ and E), MJ's & E's nerve's were wearing thin toward each other (and they didn't even loose their baggage). They were both being insensitive with their comments to each other, and then too sensitive about things that were being said between them. Luckily, I was able to stay out of it for the most part. However, that took a major portion of fun out of the trip for me. Well, that and the fact that I felt uncomfortable traveling with E because she dressed, and sometimes behaved, like total skanky white trash. And, she had to contradict everything I said, regardless of whether she knew she was right (most instances, I wouldn't comment, unless I KNEW something; then later, MJ would look it up, and yup, I was right). I will not travel with E ever again! I will only travel with MJ if: #1- Hans-Erik is there too, he buffers her big time! and #2- I have a friend who is traveling with me. This trip turned out to be more stressful than I anticipated. But, that is me venting. Hopefully, the rest of my posts will be able to maintain a level of optimism.

The next stop on our trip ... Venice.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

That's too bad about being stressed on your vacation! It's so great that you got to go to all of those wonderful places though! Maybe your next vacation should just be sitting on a beach!

Utah Youngs said...

oooh, i'll be your travelling friend next time--never been to italy :) haha!