Sunday, September 19, 2010

ranting on about Facebook, blogs, and other social networking media...yes, I may be a hypocrite too.

Yes, I know I am about to blog-bash on my own blog. I am the worst of the worst. Well, I actually think there are people out there worse than me, but I still feel pretty bad about it all. I check my blog about once every one or two days. Not to post, but rather to see what other people may be posting (and rarely do I comment). Why do I do this? Why don't I visit these people, or at least call? I care enough to want to know what is happening in their life, but I don't want to have to go through the effort of talking with them on the phone? I hope not. I convince myself that I don't have the time to contact everyone like I would like to.

The worst of the worst is probably the three big offenders: Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace. Never have we been a society so obsessed with the mundane facts of everyone else's lives. I normally wouldn't call my parents, sisters, or best friend (those I talk to on the phone the most) to let them know: "Never underestimate the power of clean laundry" like one of my friends on FB posted today. Why do I care? Do you want me to congratulate you that at the age of 27 you finally learned that it is better to have clean laundry than dirty laundry? Seriously! And the "like" button. Don't even get me started on that. I am a big perpetrator of using it, but I still think it is ridiculous! I'm not proud of it, but one day on FB I posted: "how did women survive before chocolate was readily available?" horribly mundane. I would never call anyone just to tell them that. But, almost just as bad, 7 people "liked" that comment. It made me feel good, but what's to like about it? Do you like chocolate? Do you like that previously in history goods like chocolate were hard to come by? Do you like that items like chocolate that were once a valued treasure now come in 12 oz bags of M&Ms for $2.50 (guessing on the price)?

Ok, but all that aside, my biggest vice is texting. It is so awfully convenient. But so awfully abused and misconstrued. I've asked stupid questions, in a rhetorical manner, and people answer them and think I am dumb. So much of communication comes through body language and tone of voice and inflections. You don't get any of that in a text. Its a little bit easier to convey those things in an email. But when you are limited to only 140-160 characters, "U have 2 use symbols 2 make ^ 4 lack of space, & u loose meaning". Bah! I need to be better.

I do see the beauty of facebook. Connecting long lost friends. There are people I know I would not have contact with if it weren't for facebook and I am eternally grateful for that. But, do you really care that "I have the day off today, what should I do?" No, I don't really care. I still have to work, and now, because of my facebook addiction, I have to get my fix and see what all my friends are up to all the time.

Do you get frustrated with people posting stupid mundane things as well? or is it just me?

This being said...I can't wait to see the new facebook moving that is coming out. :) I am a junkie that needs her fix! I think the thing that has caught my attention the most is the song they used. I am a HUGE Radiohead fan. Doesn't the trailer draw you in? It did me!

3 comments:

Trishie-pooh said...

I am just as bad with the facebook things as you. It drives me nuts seeing people posts every ten minutes to say "Just ate dinner," "just put the baby to bed," "had weird dreams last night." "I love cheese." Some posts are funny, but for the most part it gets really old. I'm with you. Stupid, but addictive.

Tina said...

I just went and watched The Social Network! Loved it!

Anyhow . . . .about the blog/facebook thing. . . . to me it's not really about the people you would pick up the phone and talk to. Would you ever just pick up the phone and talk to me??? Total Joke right??? but there are people (like me) who love to know about those they care about, but wouldn't normally have contact with them if it weren't for this awesome social network we have today. It has reconnected me to you, two of your sisters, even some of the family that I'm not supposed to be in contact with (shhhhhhh) and friends that I haven't seen in over 25 years! It makes the world a lot smaller, more happy place for me . . . . . . my 25 cents!!!

Happiness is... said...

I think you need to quit your job as a nurse practitioner, and become a writer!! You are hillarious and very witty. People love that!
If you wrote a book, you could advertise on facebook, and your blog, and see just how many people really do read your stuff:)
Love ya!