
I finally finished this book. It was really quite an interesting read and I can't explain why it took me so long, except I started it around the time I started the Book of Mormon...priorities. It is my first Nookbook. I actually also read the Book of Mormon on my ipad too, but this is my official 1st nookbook. Its a great way to keep a book, or a bunch of books, with you at all times. But, I'm back to reading an "old school" paper book. Mostly because I had this book for a while, and I hadn't read it. Anyway...
This book talks about the food industry and how it tries to merge Salt, Fat, Sugar in the food that we consume to make it irresistible. Our food now melts in our mouths and we don't realize what we are eating or how much. Its really crazy. There is this part in the book where the author was at a food convention and walking around the different booths he came upon one that had a chocolate drink. It was a caramel, cream, chocolate drink. He reported that it was delicious, and then asked how much chocolate was actually in it. Very little, was the response. The extracts and flavorings added can enhance the flavor so much more than the actual product. I think this is scary! It has made me pay more attention to what I am eating. I definitely try to avoid processed foods. They are very convenient, but you loose the experience of eating food.
In the book he also talks about how to avoid overeating...making a plan in advance, etc. The stuff that everyone who has ever had been overweight has always heard. It can work for some people, but I didn't find that part of the book as interesting as I did the first part with all the facts. I'm that sort of girl though. :)
Preview of next weeks posting: My 3 week cleanse: no sugar, no gluten, no animal products...
3 comments:
I love my Sony Reader, and I do still read books from the library that I can't get for the sony.
That book sounds interesting but they always scare me!! I watched an Oprah episode last week that talked about that stuff and I've been freaked out about eating meat since then. I still do, but I'm a little more iffy about it. I'd like to hear about your cleanse! What are you going to eat if you don't eat sugar, gluten and animal products?? I think those are my main food groups!
Are you sure about that?!! I would have the hardest time not eating any of those. Are you just eating vegetables? Do fruit sugars count?
I need to call you...it's been forever, and we missed you when you actually did come up. I figured you had tons to do with Shelle getting home.
Post a Comment