Friday, February 27, 2009

Flashback Friday

So I have been trying to come up with more frequent blog postings but in realizing that I lead a dull life (eat, work, sleep, repeat) I thought I would jump on a couple of trends going around so I could be a more frequent poster. First trend will be the "Flashback Friday" trend and the second will be "Wordless Wednesdays"...so the following is my first attempt:




July 20, 1979 My parents were married and sealed in the Manti Utah Temple. My mom was 3 years older than I currently am and my dad was 3 years younger. (now if they could only get me married off I think they would have hurdled thier biggest life task...hehe)

I love this picture of my Young grandparents because this is very much how I remember them (I don't think they aged much in their last 10-15 years). Although, I always remembered grandpa Young as being very tall, and I see now that he was actually quite short when I knew him; this coming from the views of a child <8>

I always have been a little concerned though because one of my aunts on my dad's side of the family has told me multiple times in the past that I look just like my grandmother Young. This has been a concern to me because when they would have met my grandmother was ~70 years old (when I pointed this out she tries to back track and tell me that I look like her pictures when she was younger).

I also love to see my McCollaum grandparents when they were younger. They were ~20-30 years younger than my Young grandparents. This is not the best picture I have of them but it is still fun. And my grandfathers style: pink shirt with plaid pants....classic! I love it!

And nothing beats seeing your parents when they were younger! I would never have believed that my dad could have been so skinny! My mom is absolutely beautiful in this picture. I am super happy because I really think that my mom ages well so I may have some good genes to keep me looking young into my later years!

5 comments:

Tina said...

I was in High School when your parents met. I remember all the fuss and activity when your mom and Paul decided to get married. We all thought it would never happen but did! Your mom and dad used to embarass us all with how "lovey dovey" they were . . . always kissing and touching!!!! I think I was probably in the 8th or 9th grade (which was in the high school back then) Your mom taught the business classes, and so she was a teacher there. I remember her coming up and asking me if I thought Paul was cute . . . there was a really cute Paul that was my age, and I raved about him, not knowing it was her Paul she was asking me about . . . tee hee . . . I guess all's well that ends well!!!!

Fun Picture!!!

The two old crows said...

That is a fun picture. It really does bring back memories. I remember all the fuss back when they decided to get married.

King Family said...

Oh how funny mom!

Great flashback friday! I love seeing pictures of family from when they were young too, especially wedding pictures. Very cool.

Bainter Family Antics said...

Your mom and dad look so young. They didn't feel that young to me when they got married. Shows how your perspective changes with age. I too always felt Grandpa was tall and I remember that he took a lot of joy from the fact that you and MaryJo liked to listen to his watch in his pocket. I remember that his broke and he needed a new one, he told grandma that it had to have a tick tock so that you both wouldn't be disappointed when you climbed up onto his lap. Good Memories, thank you!!!

Becky said...

Trudy,
Thanks so much for your comment! When I read it I thought back and recalled something about that...so I must have been told about it at one time cuz I think I was way too young to remember it. But when I was reading it I got teary eyed! It was sweet. Thanks again!