
So I am down to only 3 friends who are not married now! One of my best friends Kristin Anstead married Cam Brimley this weekend at Timpanogos temple. Kristin's marriage upset me the most because not only is she one of my best friends, but she suckered me into making the cake! When I say suckered....I mean asked me to make the cake. I am such a people pleasing push-over I said yes. She asked me to make the cake partly because she has a supreme allergy to eggs (if egg even touches her skin she will swell up where it contacted her) and I had previously made her my grandmother's cake "old fangled fruit cake" which has no eggs:
4 cups flour -- 2 cups sugar -- 1 cup oil -- 4 tsp baking soda -- 3-4 tsp cinnamon -- 2 tsp nutmeg -- 1 tsp cloves -- 1 tsp salt -- 1 quart of fruit blended -- 1 cup choc chips -- bake at 325 for 1 hour
So anyway. When she asked me to make the cake, she said "I don't care what it looks like"...my response...."yeah right!" I was not about to make a wedding cake without any input from the bride. So I got online and found 60+ pictures of wedding cakes to show her different styles. She picked one of them, probably one of my most unfavorite ones. I couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't like it until my mom saw it and said it looked like toilet paper stacked on each other. hehe
So I have lost sleep over the design of this cake! I had to go to Delta last weekend to make the cake. It took 5-6 hours and 7 batches of the cake batter. I froze it and then dropped it off at Kristin's Dad's house for safe keeping (as he has the house that is closest to the reception center).
Tuesday I went over to Mary Jo's house to make the fondant. I have never made/worked with fondant before. I found an easy recipe online. All it is is marshmallows, water, and powdered sugar. It is so crazy to make because you melt the marshmallows and it is all runny and sticky. You kinda knead the powdered sugar into the marshmallow and it goes from sticky runny goop to firm doughish material! Crazy!Thursday I got to spend my Pioneer day holiday down in Provo decoratating the cake. It took another 4-5 hours and I ended up with red hands (I was able to scrub them with soap and baking soda for 30 minutes and afterward they were pink). I finally had a working idea of the decoration!

Saturday, the "Big Day" I had Mary come over and help me do the floral arrangement for the top of the cake.
Then I went down to Provo and assembled/finished the decoration of the cake at the reception center. I had a good time at the reception. I got to see all the Anstead's I have not seen in a long time. And I locked my keys in my car! Oi! But the Lindon Police were great and broke into my car for me!
All and all, this has been an experience to remember. One I want to remember and not repeat, my 3 still single friends, remember this!! hehe It was fun...but as I work a 8-6 job 5-6 days a week, I would prefer not to do it! Next time, I will pause before I say yes! And this has further cemented in my mind the need to elope as opposed to having a small or big wedding.





9 comments:
You did a great job with the cake! I even looked at it close up! You saved her a LOT of money. I know first-hand having just paid for a wedding cake. NEAT!
Wow, good job! Thats really neat how you can do that. I think I would have said no. Have you ever had classes?
Becky- it looked amazing! Sam was very impressed!! And the good thing about your cake is that it sounds like it also tasted good!
Wow Beck that was a great job on that cake. Uncle Sid and I decorated Grandpa and Grandma Young's fifth cake so I know a little of what goes into making a cake and decorating it. Your Uncle Sid made all the icing roses that went on the cake.
Great pictures also. It was neat seeing Kristin, it has been awhile.
Aunt Cecilia
WOW!!! good job on the cake! it looks really good!
cake looks great... and please DO explain your corn sex comment on my blog :)
BC
Becky...you're amazing! You did such a great job. The best part was the fact that it tasted great too!
That is very daring, I'm afraid I would have said no also. I'm kind of a chicken :) You did an awesome job though, way to go!!
It was fun to see Kristin, it's been a really long time since I have seen her.
So I am completely impressed! I can't even bake a cookie! Way to go!
Post a Comment