Sunday, April 4, 2010

Camping in Moab with Friends

Last weekend, I was invited to go camping with my friend Trish and her husband Dave and a couple of their friends. When I got the invite I was super exited, although I did have a hesitant moment. Trish and Dave are experienced rock-climbers and are often found doing technical mountaineering hikes through southern Utah's many canyons. I have thought about trying rock-climbing, but I didn't think holding them up would be the way to get into the sport. Trish assured me that she would take it easy because she was nursing an old injury that had recently flared up. With this in mind, I packed my bags and set off for Moab.

It was decided that we would be camping at the slick-rock campground. Dave had recently purchased a mountain bike and wanted to test it out on the trails in Moab.

The first night was extremely cold. The wind was blowing at least 15 mph from the NW and the temperature was hanging right around 30 degrees (+/- some degrees). I was terribly unprepared. But, luckily, my friend Trish, had a pair of warmer pants that I was able to put on underneath my jeans. My hands were so cold, I couldn't do up my jeans. I had lost my fine motor skills. So I went to bed fully clothed. But I stayed warm in my little tent (that Dave and Trish had brought for me).

The next day, Dave, Dan, and Candace set off on their bikes and had a great time improving their skill on the 12 mile Slick Rock Trail. Tricia and I spent our day exploring the area around our campground and hiking parts of both the slick rock trail and the Porcupine Rim Trail. It was chilly enough, despite our activity, that we still stayed quite bundled up. But we had a good time walking the dogs and looking at our beautiful surroundings! It was great!

The following day before we packed up our belongings, Tricia took me out for a beginners "orientation" to a mountain bike. We decided to ride on the Fins-N-Things 4x4 trail (listed as a moderate bike trail). I am sad that I didn't take my camera, the view was outstanding. I had a great time and Trish gave me a lot of good tips and advice. Despite my short ride, I still came away with some small injuries: I scraped the back of my leg on the pedal and I fell forward off my seat and was uncomfortably introduced to the frame bar (think of the bar that is used to differentiate between a male and a female bike ... ouch!). I had a good time though and was so happy I had given it a try. When I find a job and start working, I may even start looking for a bike to invest in.

After we got back to camp and packed up our stuff, we set off for Wall Street on Potash road. This road runs along the Colorado river and is filled with prime spots for rock climbing enthusiasts. Dan selected a climbing route he has been wanting to try out. We didn't have a guide book, but I think I have figured the name of one of the trails "Knapping with the Alien". It is listed as a 5-12. They climbed a route just left of this, but I couldn't figure out how it was rated. Dave and Trish let me have a try on the unnamed route, but I was too short to be able to get very far. It has still sparked an interest in me and I have made sure there is an indoor climbing wall at every place I have sent a resume! :)

I had a blast this weekend. It has given me a renewed energy (or effort) to get into better shape. I am going to work on my pull-ups and get back on the treadmill and hopefully that will help me with any mountain biking or climbing goals I want to make. I would recommend it to everyone! And, if you are nervous about starting give me a call. I'm right there with ya!

The following are the pictures from this weekend (they are in backwards order ... sorry). There are a lot of pictures, and a lot of nature pics. It's soo pretty; I couldn't help myself. Unfortunately, I didn't get a pic of my bike ride or climbing attempt. Maybe next time.

Time to leave. Dave's & Tricia's car ahead.

Driving along Potash Road

Dave almost to the top of the route.

Tricia climbing, Dave Belaying.

Candace climbing Knapping with the Alien - 5.12

Climbing and Belaying

Dan and Dave climbing. Candace and Trish belaying.

Dan, Candace, Becky, Tricia, Dave.
The whole gang.
(La Sal Mountains in the background)

Brody an Jackson anxiously awaiting our departure!

Open air outhouse. I think it actually improves the smell to have no roof!

Tricia givin some lovin to Jackson and Brody

Becky and Candace chillin after a long day of hiking (Becky) and biking (Candace).
Dave and Brody. Look at the beautiful blue sky!
Dan, Tricia, and Dave relaxin after the long day full of activity.

Porcupine Rim Trail

Porcupine Rim Trail

Porcupine Rim Trail

Porcupine Rim Trail

Porcupine Rim Trail

Porcupine Rim Trail

This is one of the only pics that I got of myself on this trip. Tricia is the awesome photographer. The pic was taken along the Slick Rock Trail.

Slick Rock Trail

Tricia with Brody and Jackson walking along side the Slick Rock Trail (see the dark tire marks and the white mark of the trail)

Dave, Candace, and Dan heading out for their Slick Rock Trail ride.

My little Black Diamond tent that Dave let me borrow. All the poles are inside. Dave told me it is made that way so that you can climb into it to put it up when you are on a small cliff on the side of a mountain. Yikes! Not for me!

The cloud covered La Sal Mountains

Cactus

Green!

Pretty!

More pretty!

A Geo Cache

Trish and Dave celebrating our arrival with ice cold margaritas. Brrr!

The long open road.

The I-70 drive to Moab


4 comments:

The two old crows said...

Beautiful. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. Oh to be young again.

Tina said...

Good Ole Utah. . . So beautiful!

I miss our camping trips. Looks like you had fun!!!

Any job leads???? Come EAST!!!

Bainter Family Antics said...

Thanks for sharing--I have really missed seeing scenery like that. I agree with Tina---COME EAST!!!!

Carolyn said...

Moab is beautiful. My brother Greg would love to live there if he could actually have a job there that paid a decent amount. Glad you had a good time, even if it was freezing cold at times!