Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Let's play a little game:

This game is called "How well do you think you know Becky?" So, I have interviewed at two places recently. Both jobs are in Cardiology, but both are very unique. I have actually accepted a job offer from one of them, but I want to see if you can guess which one. It is the one that matches most what I want from a job to further my career.
Below you will find two pictures, one of each facility. Under each picture will be a description of the job to be performed at each facility. You are to guess which job I accepted based on each job description/highlights.
Even though it has been less than 1 week since I accepted, some people who read my blog know about it. If you know what job I accepted, please chuckle inside at my blog and don't post your knowledge to ruin it for everyone else.
On Saturday or Sunday (April 24th or 25th), check back and I will reveal the correct answer.
Sorry, there are no treats or prizes for playing!

This facility is Mercy Gilbert Hospital. I'd also be working at Chandler Hospital. They are located in Gilbert/Chandler AZ. (Gilbert is to Phoenix as Sandy is to SLC). They are in the Catholic Healthcare West system. The MD I'd be working with is Dr Nabil Dib. He is an Interventional Cardiologist and director of Cardiovascular Research at both facilities. He is currently involved in 12-20 research trials. He has a private practice. The job I'd be doing would be part in the private practice and part with a research trial that is helping to fund the position. The research trial is trying to find the gene which is linked with the development of heart disease.

+ Call is required
+ 3 days a week he has 1/2 day of clinic
+ 20-25 patients seen in clinic on 1/2 days
+ I'd see patients in both the acute inpatient and out patient settings
+ Long days
+ Covered parking spot
+ Heavily involved in research
+ Opportunity to get my name attached to a nationally published research study
+ Benefits start the 1st day of the month that is at least 30 days after my hire date
+ Big emphasis on education.
+ Requirement to attend national CV conference yearly (Dr Dib founded the American Cardiovascular Society for Translational Research and they have a yearly meeting attached with the big ACC meeting)
+ Main focus is Cardiology
+ Term is only guaranteed for 2 years, after which I could stay if the fit was right for both parties.
+ smaller facilities: 2 cath labs at each facility for both interventional and electrophysiological cardiology.
+ 2 seasons in AZ: hot, hotter!
+ 11-12 hour car ride from Delta, 1 1/2 hr plane ride. 6 hour car ride from Gwen!
+ Decent salary
+ Not great time off, but will probably be ok.
+ Fair relocation package


The other job is working at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. This job is with the Women's Heart Clinic at Mayo, the majority of the time. A small portion of my time would be dedicated to the POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) clinic. The Women's Heart Clinic would be caring for patients mainly from the lower Minnesota area. The POTS patients would be referred from MDs nationwide for work-up and would require no follow up after the week of work-up.

+ 8 patients a day maximum
+ a parking spot in the garage my 1st day (they told me lower ranking staff have to wait up to 10 years for a parking spot)
+ 4 seasons
+ Elite medical community
+ Large base of well established, and well represented, advanced practice providers (NP's and PA's)
+ Awesome to have "Mayo" on a resume
+ Outpatient
+ Cold winters, but Mayo/Rochester is designed with underground tunnels and sky walks so you never have to leave a building, once you get there.
+ only a 1 hour shuttle ride and 3 hour plane ride from my friends and family in Utah
+ Minnesota accent ... dontcha know!
+ I could develop my own patient base
+ I would be working closely with several MDs in Cardiology as well as Neurology, Psychiatry, and Women's Health
+ No Call
+ Benefits starting day of hire
+ Decent Salary
+ Strict Dress Code (Suit coat w/pants or skirt & nylons) - no white coat allowed.
+ Not great time off, but will probably do. (equivalent to other job)
+ Strong emphasis for continuing medical education
+ Nice relocation package


Ok, now it's time for you to cast your vote to see if you can guess which one I chose. I've tried to list both positives and negatives of each. And, I'm sure I've probably missed some things, but you'll have to make do with these lists.

Isn't this fun? hehe Just remember, you will find out on Sat or Sun (whenever I get around to posting it). :)

9 comments:

Bainter Family Antics said...

Well I think I'd go with the Mayo clinic--which you'd choose--don't know--but can't wait to find out!!!

Tina said...

I'd say the Mayo clinic also!! At least that is the one I would like :)

Kel said...

I would pick AZ, so if you want me to visit, I hope you picked Gilbert. Also, I have cousins there!

The two old crows said...

I say the Mayo Clinic also. I came up with that before I read Trudy or Tina's comments.

Lora said...

I say the Mayo clinic just because you aren't on call :) You didn't mention how far you will be from Gwen though so that threw a shadow over my decision but I am sticking with Mayo clinic :)

Carolyn said...

I think Mayo Clinic. Though without reading I would have picked AZ, nice hot weather, oh and Stu's going to be serving his mission there, Tempe, AZ spanish speaking, just thought you'd like to know. But based on the descriptions, I'm going with Mayo clinic. I'll be checking back often on Saturday and Sunday!

Carolyn said...

Sorry, CONGRATS on the new job! Whichever one it is!!!

Josh, Melissa and Brynn said...

AZ?? Research and opportunities. I need to know now! Congrats, though, whichever it is. :)

The Burrows Family said...

I'm gonna say Mayo! Either way it's going to suck to see you go far away! We need to get together soon!