Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sights in Oslo

First, I must do a shout out to technology: GPS is a lovely thing! I don't think we ever would have found our destinations without it!

Thank you Georgia (the name of the GPS)!


Our first stop in Oslo was at the Viking Museum. This museum had 3 different viking ships in varying states of dis-repair. They were found in burial mounds and have been restored to their present day glory. Some of them had more restorable parts than others (compare above picture with picture below).


There were other cool things in this museum besides the 3 massive boats. There were skeletons, sleds, carts, cooking utensils and supplies (including remains of food), clothing, and even peacock feathers. You name it the vikings probably had it (except GPS...I don't think they were all that into the computer/technology stuff).


Once again you will have to excuse my unkempt self! I debated not taking any pictures with me in them this day, but then no one would believe that I saw all these things, right?!


This just shows you how massively large these ships are! It's a good 50 feet long!

I had to get some Norwegian crowns (different from Swedish crowns) to pay for parking, so I bought the kids some lollipops which they thoroughly enjoyed!


After the Viking museum we went to the folk museum. I think this was to appease me. If I was gonna go all the way to Norway I wanted to see a Stave church. We passed several on the way down to Oslo but didn't want to stop as we were afraid we were running out of time to get to the viking museum. I knew of one that was 1 hour west of Oslo, but I know that not many of my travelling companions would want to go. Pete and Denise found out there was a Stave church (the Gol church) which was relocated to this folk-museum. So to appease me we went to this museum to see a Stave church! Norway was doing their midsommar celebrations while we were there and using the folk-museum (it's outdoors) as a festival site. There were several people dressed in traditional costume. It was really cool to see.


Here is the southern facade of the Gol Stave Church! Cool huh? It is even cooler when you learn that it was built in the 1200s, is made entirely of wood, and it has not been touched up (except what they had to do to move it from Gol to Oslo, but that's all the original wood).

Unfortunately the doors were locked so we couldn't go inside. The structure of the building and it's support system are really interesting. I'm going to direct you to wikipedia to learn more about that if you want to though.


I find it astounding that it's so well preserved considering it is made of wood and the climate they have in Norway. It's not excatly ideal for wood structures (once the wood doesn't have roots in the ground anyway)!


I probably would have looked more put together if I had my glasses, but they were lost in the car somewhere. I did find them before we parted ways in Gothenburg. But thank goodness I am not too blind. As one of my sisters (who will remain unnamed) says, "I don't really need glasses. I have better than 20/20 vision. I just use glasses to sharpen the edges of things!" hahaha!
Don't we all!


They don't just grow grass on their roofs...

Sometimes they grow wildflowers too!

I like this family photo best of all of them that were taken on this trip. It's very casual! I love it!


Ta Da!


See all the people gathering around for the midsommar festival. We may poke fun at dancing around the maypole just a bit, but it is serious stuff here! It's a national holiday or Red day. Red days you don't have to work. Not only is Midsommar a Red day but so is the day after it! In USA we need to learn to celebrate like other cultures!

There was a show that was put on by a troupe of entertainers. I think it was a gypsy show, but I'm not entirely certain.

Fire breathing man! How many bean burritos do you think he had to eat to be able to produce those flames?! It's a good thing the guy with the match was in front and not in back...the back side is a little harder to control and thus more dangerous! hehe

I really liked this picture so I included it in my blog. It has no real significance or ties with Norway, except that I saw it in Norway.


When we left Oslo we were about 3 1/2 hours from Gothenburg. We were gonna drive all the way but got tired so decided to stop and try to get a hotel. 1st place we stopped was in Norway. Quality Inn: 200 euro a night...Ouch! Next place we stopped, still in Norway, was a hostel: 100 euro a night. Better right? wrong! Didn't bring your own sheets: 20 more euro!
So on we drove. Getting off the freeway at almost every stop and looking for a hotel. We encountered many false advertisements, booked, or expensive hotels. Finally, at 1:30 am (which was our ETA for arrival into Gothenburg had we kept going) we found a hotel in Sweden for 120 euro a night. It claimed: sleeps 4. In the USA that usually means 2 queen beds. In Sweden at the Rasta hotel (that should have been our first sign) it meant 1 set of bunk beds and a couch that folded out into 2 beds. Ugh! But we took it. We were exhuasted and glad to be out of the van! But I must say, I have never spent so much for a hotel, or stayed in such a poor quality hotel! Somethings are definitely more expensive in Scandanavia!

1 comment:

King Family said...

What a neat church! Too bad you weren't able to go inside.

I know what you mean about the hotels.. needing to pay for sheets and things. In 98 degree Croatia if you wanted air conditioning you had to pay extra for it.