Sunday, July 5, 2009

Goodbye Sweden! I'll be back...but first...on to Norway!


Of course we ha to get a group picture before leaving! We appreciate so much Inga-Lena and Hakan (I can't do the little o over the first a in Hakan's name on my computer!) and their hospitality for putting us up and putting up with us! Thanks so much! I hope I can visit again soon!

The Van...a lot of kilometers and hours put into this van. After we left Sweden we drove to Norway and stopped in Trondheim. We were going to stay the night in Trondheim but decided that because of all the sunlight hours to drive through the night, through the fjords, and end up in Oslo around 3-5 am. Little did we know our plans would be foiled and we would spend over 24 hours in this big white beast on wheels!


What's more fun than a barrel of monkeys?


A van full of 8 McCollaums (5 kids, 3 adults) and 1 McDonald for over 24 hours!


This was the 1st sign in Norway. I may have learned this lesson all to well. The numbers in those circles represent kilometers/hr. Meaning speed limit in the towns was ~20mph and on the highway was ~50mph. I may have exceeded that a time or two. Unfortunately, Norway uses picture boxes to catch speed breakers and I would often first notice them when I was right in front of them. As of yet I have not heard of anything about a ticket, but it's still early. My hope is that they will not try to track me down in the US. Only time will tell! I've heard Norway is vicious too...$300+ tickets for speeding! Ouch!


Sweden and Norway both are beautiful!

How many people do you think can say they have been to Hell and back?


I don't know the answer to that question, but we are some of them!
We drove on the "Highway to Hell"!


Entrance to Hell's Tunnel.

Driving in the tunnel to Hell.


Welcome to Hell! Looks miserable doesn't it?! I can tell you one thing. I was there in mid-June and it was FREEZING! I am sure that Hell freezes over at least once a year!

(Unfortunately, Hell was the butt of many jokes we told for upwards of a half-hour after we passed the town....poor Hell! hehe)


More pictures of beautiful Norway!


Sweden and Norway are supposed to have a bunch of Moose. So much so that they have these signs everywhere. We drove A LOT through both countries and never saw ourselves a moose. It was kinda a bummer. Next time I go back I want to see myself a reindeer and a moose!

The start of the Fjords.

Absolutely Breathtaking!

2 comments:

The two old crows said...

Beautiful. Glad you are having so much fun.

King Family said...

What neat sights you got to see. It makes me want to travel more.