Denise, Paul and I took the kids to school today.
I was surprised at the exterior condition of the schools. The facilities are covered in Grafitti. Denise told me jokingly that they really encourage creativity. The Napolitans are a very different sort of folk.
We left the upper portion of Cumae (the temples and areas of worship) around noon, and wanted to go to the city in the lower portion, but it was lunch break. In Italy they tend to break for lunch around noon and don't come back until 4 pm. So we didn't get to see the lower portion. So we drove around Naples. We drove until we got lost. Luckily, we had GPS! We got home to pick Rachel up from school with 15 minutes to spare! We did get to see some really cool parts of Naples though (and despite popular belief, some if it is pretty and not all of it is covered in garbage).
Tonight I had my first taste of Italian Pizza; I loved it! I specifically request a margherita pizza as Don L. told me that was something I had to taste in Naples, because it was fabulous. He was right. (It was almost the only thing he told me I had to do, that I was willing to do. He also told me to get an espresso at 11am as everyond does it and to drink lots of wine. However, my LDS religion does follow me around the world despite his insistence that it didn't have to).
I am amazed at how well my Aunt, Uncle, and Cousins are picking up on the language. I hear the Italians speak and it just goes over my head, but they all can understand quite well. I wish I had the opportunity to do something like that. I think they are all so brave and smart!
Uncle Pete got work off tomorrow so the plan is: Pompeii (probably will also include the Herculaneum). More on that tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment