
Also, because Peter had his birthday the previous week and turned 12 he was able to recieve the priesthood. I was the only extended family member who was there for that. I was happy that I could be there. It was a neat experience that I have not been present for before.


On the way home from church we drove by Lake Avernus (a lake in a volcanic crater)ironically enough. It is known as the 7th gate to Hell from Dante's "The Divine Comedy". For the ancient Romans, this was the entrance to Hades, and "Avernus" was another name for the underworld. The name means "without birds". It was thought that the smell of brimstone rising from the lake was so poisonous that birds would not fly over it.

There is this cool volcanic crater, the Solfatara. It frequently has sulfur vapors steaming from it. It was interesting, and stinky! Like rotten eggs!
We also drove home under the Arco Felice. This grandiose construction, 20 m. high and 6 m. wide, is a deep cutting through Mount Grillo made by the Romans in order to provide an easier transit from Cumae to Pozzuoli on the Domitian Road (A.D. 95). It is said that if you kiss your lover under the Arco Felice you will be happy forever!
Sophia Loren was a true Napolitan. We drove by her house on our way home. It is now a school.
After church, we had the missionaries and another family, the Ramones, over for dinner. We had a lot of fun. The missionaries (and Paul) sure are entertaining!


One really fun thing about Napoli is that it is known for it's fireworks. Everynight between 11pm and midnight there would be some sort of fireworks going off somewhere in the Napoli area. Often times down on the beach. They use the big fireworks which we get in Wyoming! It is so cool! I miss the sound of popping fireworks at night!




No comments:
Post a Comment